Chagall began to paint at the studio of Jehuda Pen in Vitebsk. When visiting Saint Petersburg, he saw the works of the Parisian avant-garde which inspired him to see the “City of Lights”.His dream came true in 1911, around the same time he discovered Fauvism and Cubism which left a major influence on his style. He began friendships with many other creative minds, such as Delaunay, Léger, Kisling, Modigliani, Max Jacob, or Guillaume Apollinaire.
In 1923, Chagall began to work for the major art dealer, Vollard. In the 30s, his creations were mostly influenced by Impressionism and he took a more classical view on art. When the war broke out, Chagall befriended many writers and artists in New York, where they all fled for refuge.
At the end of the war, Chagall gained an international recognition. His works were exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, in Paris and all around Europe. In 1948 he came back to Paris, later to Saint-Paul-de-Vence. In the south of France, he began to develop other techniques and create ceramic pieces in the same atelier as Picasso.
Throughout 20 years, he had been receiving major public and private commissions. Simultaneously, he had been creating lithographies and engravings, particularly for his Parsian art dealer, Aimé Maeght.